Signal or antenna boosters

Brutalwarpig

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever used an Alientech antenna/booster and if so, what was your experience with it? I have no intention of buying a $400-$1200 antenna or signal booster. I'm just curious how effective they are and why someone would need to double the range of a 15km or 20km transmitter/receiver on a drone. I have an DJI Air 3, a DJI Mini 3 and a FIMI X8 Pro and FIMI X8 2022SE V2. I've flown them across Downtown Nashville Tennessee and in various remote rural and densely populated urban areas. I've always had plenty of signal strength and never had any serious control issues. On the few instances when control would drop out I was still able to use the return to launching point GPS functions. I've never lost a drone. I'm curious about locations where such a booster is needed. Or is this just for those who want to push the boundaries of what the tech is capable of? I can certainly see the benefit of a booster/antenna system for the Ukrainian military but that's an entirely different environment than 99% of us are ever operating in.

It not about range like most people think. It's about reception. We all know the lower we fly our drones the more frequent or earlier our signal drops out. The alientech duo 2 and 3 allow drones to fly 100-200 feet lower than they would with the OEM antenna system. Basically, the antenna blocks or helps reduce interference from vegetation and structures when flying at lower altitudes or behind things that can interfere with your rc and drone connection.

I notice a big difference when I stay in my car or stay in the house and watch my drone through a window. The alientech antenna powers through the car windows and the walls of the house much better than without the alientech antenna.

Another example. There is a parking lot I like to fly over which is about 1000 feet away from my house. In between me and the parking lot are many tall trees that get in the way and cause signal dropouts with the stock antennas. This occurs at 300 ft agl. But I want to get closer to the cars below and be able to read the license plates. For this I need to fly lower. The zoom camera doesn't cut it. With the alientech amplified antenna, I can fly at 150-200 ft without signal interruption, instead of the 300 ft that the stock antennas give me.

I live in a rural area that has hundreds of commercial plant nurseries. There are lots of rolling hills and trees. I never try flying my drone from inside my house but I routinely fly my drones 20 feet AGL on the other side of hills and tree lines to inspect cattle fencing. My FIMI X8 Pro can only do this 4000 feet away. However, my Air 3 can skim the ground on the other side of hills and tree lines over 2 miles away. At 250 AGL I can fly well beyond the batteries 47 minute flight time. I tried attaching a long antenna wire to my TX10A RC (FIMI) then ran it up a tree. I had basically unlimited control regardless where I flew the drone. Of course that's not a practical solution in most situations.

I have used the MAXX Pro and it worked great

Reactions: sarahb

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hotdog7