Regulations in Australia

gannp

Reaction score
Don't know if I can get country specific information on this forum or not. Can't find what I want on CASA website.
Son has just visited me in Australia from US and I am now the proud owner of a DJI Mini 2 UAV.
He has it set for very high altitudes and distances from home in Ishaqua Seattle, etc. after having passed a part 105 [this could be wrong] online theory exam in the US giving him much more expanded flexibility to use his UAV.

I live out in the sticks in Australia, have a GA pilots licence, and thought the DJI would be a bit of fun but if 120metres maximum height, no flying over populous areas, etc., etc., etc. and absolutely visual line of flight at all times is the best I am allowed to have it seems pointless. The laws seem very inflexible and draconian.

Are there any similar online theory exams available in Australia or recognised in Australia that I could use to expand my use of the drone.

I actually love it but it is only an expensive doorstop if I can't get more from it than 120 metres height, and the end of my street distance.

Looking very much forward to getting in to this. Could be the start of something big. [PS I am now 80 and not looking to spend large amounts of time chasing up new competence level schooling, licencing, etc.]

Thank you all in advance as another wet behind the ears newbie.

Welcome to the forum.👍
You might want to join our Mavic specific forum also.
You do there as you did here 👍

Reactions: LoudThunder
Son has just visited me in Australia from US and I am now the proud owner of a DJI Mini 2 UAV.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA.

As a new Drone Pilot, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

Your son paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 2, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Happy Droning…

Appreciate the feedback Louid Thunder.
It would seem some [most] of my previous post disappeared in to the ether somewhere.

This is it again

"Don't know if I can get country specific information on this forum or not. Can't find what I want on CASA [Civil Aviation Safety Australia] website.

He has it set for very high altitudes and distances from home in Ishaqua Seattle, etc. after having passed a part 105 [this could be wrong] online theory exam in the US giving him much more expanded flexibility to use his UAV.

I live out in semi-rural Australia, have a GA pilots licence, which of course confers on me an aviation radio licence, and thought the DJI would be a bit of fun but if 120metres maximum height, no flying over populous areas, etc., etc., etc. and strictly visual line of flight at all times is the best I am allowed to have it seems pointless. The laws seem very inflexible and draconian.

Are there any similar online theory exams available in Australia or recognised in Australia that I could use to expand my use of the drone.

I actually love it but it is only an expensive doorstop if I can't get more from it than 120 metres height, and the end of my street distance. I have the greaest respect,as a pilot for the rules and reg's and am not wanting to ignore them [as I guess so many do] so that in itself makes it more difficult for me legally.

Looking very much forward to getting in to this. Could be the start of something big. [PS I am now 80 and not looking to spend large amounts of time chasing up new competence level schooling, licencing, etc.]

Thank you all in advance as another wet behind the ears newbie."
Just while I have you, is it possible to reverse the up/down joystick positions, as pushing the stick up to climb is foreign to my GA training.

@dirkclod has already linked you over to the sister site MavicPilot, but this might be a bit more direct, this link is a sub0forum in the MavicPilot Forum...

But the way, you did write you live "out in the sticks" so I do not imagine there are many governement agents lurking about in the "billabongs", they are not as the Aborigines say "wandong" (spirits...).

So it's probably pretty safe to fly if you do not go bothering the spirits until you get the rules and regulations down pat...

Dun Worry, Is’OK One.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redelheit