Questions About Creating a Better Anemometer

Reaction score
Hello DronePilots forum,

I am emailing on behalf of our project team from a product design class. We are students designing a product that could help various individuals depending on their needs; our current project idea is about possible improvements to the anemometer, and we would like to ask possible end users about their use case and any suggestions they might have so we know what to focus on.
We would be grateful if you could help answer these short questions:

1. Do you use handheld anemometers in this hobby or elsewhere? If so, what do you appreciate about it and what other features would you like that are unfulfilled by your current device?

2. Would it be acceptable that the device must connect to your phone to be functional, or does it have to work as a standalone device? If it were functional as a standalone device, would you appreciate having it connect to your phone for additional digital features?

3. What would be the acceptable price range for a device like this?

4. What conditions would a device like this need to withstand in your general use case? (waterproofing, heatproofing, wind speed range, shock/drop resistance, dust resistance etc.)

All feedback is appreciated, including ideas for any other issues and product ideas you might have. Thank you for answering our questions.

Reactions: AlfieG
Good luck with your studies. In answer to your queries...
1. I have a hand-held anemometer which predates the invention of the mobile phone. I used it when I first started flying fixed-wing models and have scarcely bothered with it since.
2. Why bother with connecting it to a mobile phone? You may have thought of some specific reasons, but over-engineering is as bad as under-engineering.
3. I can't remember what I paid for mine, but currently on Amazon UK the prices range between 15 and 50 GBP.
4. I think you have covered all the necessary points already. With regard to wind-speed range, consider the likely winds at the top of your local mountain as well as those at the bottom of the garden

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neoprint3d