Perfect fortress in Gdansk with the name you probably couldn't spell :) Wisłoujście

dimidrone

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2019
Messages
100
Reaction score
59
Age
41
Location
Latvia
Wisłoujście Fortress (German: Festung Weichselmünde) is an historic fortress located in Gdańsk by the Martwa Wisła river, by an old estuary of the river Vistula, flowing into the Bay of Gdańsk. The fortress is located close to the Wisłoujście borough, Westerplatte and the Port Północny (Northern Port).

Different parts of the fortress are clearly in different architectural styles (predominantly Gothic) and in different styles of construction and building materials. This is the result of the fortress being rebuilt every time it was destroyed or badly damaged. The basement and foundation of the fortress is based on wooden crates (kaszyce), which are hidden underneath in the water. On top of these structures, rubble was heaped up and strengthened - providing a stable and strong base for the fortress. The heart of the fortress is based around a circular tower (currently devoid of the coping), which until 1785 was used as a lighthouse. The lighthouse is surrounded by a brick flange (also known as a circular battery), whose inner walls are sealed together with the officers' living quarters. Around the battery there is a four-bastion Fort Carré, which is led by a gatehouse with a postern from 1609. The north-western side of the fort-carré is adjoined to the Martwa Wisła river, while the rest of the fortress is separated off from land by a sconce known as the Szaniec Wschodny (Eastern Sconce). The sconce is lined up with five bastions, two of which are ravelins - one of which survived. The Fort carré as well as the Eastern Sconce are surrounded by a moat, sourced by the Martwa Wisła river.

Up until 1889, the lighthouse tower was topped with a later-Baroque coping, from about 1721. After its burning, due to a fire caused by lightning, the coping was reconstructed and coated with shale, which survived up until 1945. The tower had formerly a clock, dating back to the eighteenth century.

In 1945, due to artillery strikes the tower was almost completely destroyed, the coping and officers' headquarters and upper levels were also devastated. The only parts of the fortress which were left untouched, were the walls of the Fort Carré. In 1959 the tower was added to the Register of Heritage Sites, and reconstruction of the fortress began.

 

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
740
Messages
2,142
Members
789
Latest member
Bobbrecken