'Island of Death' battles remembered

dimidrone

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2019
Messages
134
Reaction score
75
Age
43
Location
Latvia

The “Island of Death” was the battlefield site on the left bank of the Daugava River across from Ikskile where Latvia’s first battalions of riflemen (about 8000 volunteers recruited into the 12th Imperial Army of Russia) saw protracted fighting and died in the hundreds as they held off a 1916 German onslaught toward Riga that lasted many months.

What used to be a Daugmale county peninsula jutting into the river near a strategically important temporary bridge can now only be reached by boat, since the Riga hydroelectric dam flooded the isthmus. But in 1916 the German forces could have been poised to threaten Riga from this very spot.

NBS Colonel Janis Hartmanis, author of a just-published monograph, (funded under local Ķekava district government auspices), about the Latvian riflemen’s battles at the Island of Death, describes the scene as having been “daily shooting, artillery from both sides, because the Germans were in positions raised above the relief and the whole defense was quite complicated.”

The Island of Death was also notorious as one of the first sites where chemical weapons were ever deployed, killing almost one-and-a-half thousand men. In fact, its name is said to have been given by the Latvian riflemen who were urgently called in to replace the fallen gassed soldiers.

President Janis Čakste presided over the unveiling of the monument, designed by sculptor Eižens Laube, on July 27, 1924. It was the fledgling nation's first memorial to its freedom fighting soldiers.The tragic battles were also immortalized by poet Aleksandrs Čaks in his poem “Mūžības skartie” (“By eternity touched”), written during the 1930s.
 
Great content and great video all around
 

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
1,242
Messages
3,796
Members
1,522
Latest member
onehander44