Flying a Holy Stone HS720E offshore from a boat

Droneo

Reaction score
I have a HS720E and have used it numerous times on shore. I have also taken it and flown from the deck of my boat at anchor in a very calm bay. I am trying to launch from my boat when offshore fishing several miles from shore. I have tried three or four different times and I cannot get the drone to calibrate or to launch. Batteries are charged and I am following the regular launch procedure. Is there a tip to launching when on a large body of water that anyone can share?

If in other places the quadcopter is calibrated normally, then everything is in order with the electronics. Failure to calibrate the compass is possible in the presence of a large amount of metal or electromagnetic fields. Also, if the boat is rocking in the waves, there may be a problem with the gyroscope calibration.

Reactions: cwerph and Droneo
good morning to all-
I have launched my HS 720 e from a boat at anchor. Worked well. I expect your launch problem is related to boat movement making calibration difficult/impossible. Please let us know if you get a solution figured out- I want to take my drone out on the water for some photos, too.

thanks- Ed

good morning to all-
I have launched my HS 720 e from a boat at anchor. Worked well. I expect your launch problem is related to boat movement making calibration difficult/impossible. Please let us know if you get a solution figured out- I want to take my drone out on the water for some photos, too.

thanks- Ed
Will do. I agree about the drift of the boat being an issue. I also have been able to launch at anchor and it worked fine. I was hoping there was a way to launch without calibrating the drone but it doesn’t seem to want to fly if I don’t calibrate. I plan on giving it another go this Saturday.

Leo

Calibrate inshore leave battery in, take off. Unless you remove the battery it doesn't lose the calibration. At least it doesn't on my HS600

Reactions: Droneo
Calibrate inshore leave battery in, take off. Unless you remove the battery it doesn't lose the calibration. At least it doesn't on my HS600
I am definitely going to try this. It makes sense. You think it will retain calibration even if I turn the drone off until I get offshore? Maybe 2 hrs. We’ll see this weekend.

Best

Leo

I am definitely going to try this. It makes sense. You think it will retain calibration even if I turn the drone off until I get offshore? Maybe 2 hrs. We’ll see this weekend.

Best

Leo
Well my HS600 does, I forget to take the gimble cap off all the time so have to turn it off remove and turn it back on and I never have to re-calibrate. Give it a go.

So, I tried calibrating and flying a bit on shore and then driving out on the water and trying to fly. No luck. Here is a screenshot of what I was seeing.

The controller and the phone pair with the drone but it is unresponsive. I’m curious about the gimbal cap referred above. Does anyone have a picture of one so I know what I’m looking for?

Leo

Attachments

• C2A317F9-8EE0-4F98-9AE2-8A0C7CC25165.png
    C2A317F9-8EE0-4F98-9AE2-8A0C7CC25165.png
    2 MB · Views: 8
Good morning to all-

Droneo- The gimbal cap is a clear plastic protective device which fits over the lens of the camera. It snaps off with pressure from your thumb. It is curved and fits onto the front end of the drone. If it is still on the drone, it just might produce the effects you are seeing, and it can screw up the drone's camera.
See if that clear, curved protective cover is still on the drone.

good luck and let us know what happens- Ed

Reactions: Droneo
Hello all. Below is the official response from holy stone regarding flying an HS720Efrom boats. Apparently it is “very dangerous” you could seriously harm yourself DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLY A FROM A BOAT:

Flying HS72E from a boat

Hi Leo,

Thanks for you contacting us! This is Max from customer support.

We do not recommend that you fly the drone on the boat. It is very dangerous and may cause the drone to lose connection and fly away. Please kindly know that when you are on the boat, the signal and positioning of the drone will be affected, please do not do this.

Also, could you please provide us with your order number on Amazon so that we could better follow up on your issue and register the warranty period for your product?

Thanks for your time and patience!

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Max

Hi Leo,

Did you managed to get it work?
I have the same issue, and the response from Customer Support is far from help.
Thanks.

Fede

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S