Waiting for this heat to let up for my first flight in TX!

Volar Solo

Reaction score
Good evening!

New remote pilot here with mostly book and classroom instruction.

After studying relentlessly for the past 2 months and successfully applying for my Part 107 license, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased my first real drone. I am now the proud owner of a DJI Mini 3 Pro, and it is a HUGE upgrade from my previous experience with a little Tello drone from Ryze Tech.

As luck would have it my drone arrived in the middle of a brutal heat wave here in TX that has me grounded until further notice. Despite my excitement to get going as soon as possible, I've taken the time to prepare for my first flight by reading over the manual, testing hardware & equipment, making sure I have flight logs, registration paperwork, etc.

Not gonna lie, I feel like I have run out of stuff to prepare for... the itch to fly is getting hard to ignore, haha!!

I'm thinking of just getting up extra early before sunrise and heading down to the local park to get my first test flight out of the way before the heat can kick in. Who knows, after a little practice flying around the park, I might just be able to get a good shot of the southern sun rising over TX.

Wish me luck, y'all!

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the friendly skies.

I just got a Mini SE a couple days ago, and have flown it a few times, I also have a Holy Stone HS-720 which is a nice drone, but really surprised how much better the camera and flight stability is on the Mini SE, especially since it is only $30 to $50 more than the holy stone hs-720. Took my mini se to the local park just to see, its a wide open soccer field with trees at the very edges along with tennis courts at one side, so figured it is the perfect place to test wind handling since the winds in Chicago were around 16 mph sustained with gusts to 35-36 mph. Didn't take it up very high, in fact the highest I took it was around 80 feet, for obvious reasons and it flew like there was no wind and perfect video. Went back to the same park with the HS-720, and it handled the conditions, but was much more difficult to control even to make just hover, and the video showed it being bounced around by the winds, still usable but more challenging to fly in those conditions. I would think the heavier of the two would act better, but DJI clearly has it beat.

Reactions: Volar Solo
Welcome to our forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post . Check out the list and give us your review on what you have .👍👍

Reactions: Volar Solo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuaM