Old Guy new to Drone hobby

jftman

Reaction score
Nice finding You on here. Although not doing this as a professional flying models was of interest always to me.

Great technology can do amazing things today. My first Drone is AE86 PRO MAX+ and I have a Skydio 2 on the way.

AnyOne know if the arms on the AE86 Style carbon Fibre can be super glued in place?
I am suffering cracking on the spindle mount and can't be sure if the rotors might not be perfect after gluing and there are unbalanced forces. Or, maybe I am over tightening the screws. They require blue lock tight so I suspect over tightening.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA.

You might want to log onto one of our sister sites… They specialize in more specific Drones…

Good Luck!

Reactions: GFields
AnyOne know if the arms on the AE86 Style carbon Fibre can be super glued in place?
I am suffering cracking on the spindle mount and can't be sure if the rotors might not be perfect after gluing and there are unbalanced forces. Or, maybe I am over tightening the screws. They require blue lock tight so I suspect over tightening.

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
Glued joints, whether superglued or otherwise, are stronger in compression than in tension. If you spin a blade around a hub rapidly the tension forces become supreme, so gluing is a bad idea. Get a new hub $ or a new drone $$$?

• Wow
Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA.

You might want to log onto one of our sister sites… They specialize in more specific Drones…

Good Luck!
Really appreciate you pointing me to this forum. I have a Skydio 2 and will need help I’m sure. And maybe more AE86 pilots over there too.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Nice finding You on here. Although not doing this as a professional flying models was of interest always to me.

Great technology can do amazing things today. My first Drone is AE86 PRO MAX+ and I have a Skydio 2 on the way.

Seems like I saw an AE86 Pro Max that came with a built in screen controller. What kind of transmission/video range do you get? I had the unpleasant experience of buying and owning 2 FIMI drones that are little more than expensive toys. That sort of ruined me on secondary brands. You made a big leap going from AE86 to Skydio 2. I've heard good things about Skydio. Particularly the autonomous flight functions. However I do not support Skydio because they abandoned consumers when they stopped offering consumer level drones. Their X10 Is like $9000!

Seems like I saw an AE86 Pro Max that came with a built in screen controller. What kind of transmission/video range do you get? I had the unpleasant experience of buying and owning 2 FIMI drones that are little more than expensive toys. That sort of ruined me on secondary brands. You made a big leap going from AE86 to Skydio 2. I've heard good things about Skydio. Particularly the autonomous flight functions. However I do not support Skydio because they abandoned consumers when they stopped offering consumer level drones. Their X10 Is like $9000!
The AE86 Pro Max Plus controller indeed has a viewing screen. It also can act as a tablet with apps usage and internet connectivity.

The video transmission range where I have flown off my back yard isn’t much. But I have only flown it less than 10 times.

The Chinese operating instructions is not in depth. I do not know if I should turn off wifi when I am in range of my router.

I am still experimenting! The screen lags and will freeze in the neighborhood of 300 meters. Experimenting in altitude, I have only had it up to 60-70 meters two times.

Right now I am waiting on new blades from AliExpress, as well as both rear legs.

The box boasts 18Km distance but how do you take that? I can fly it back and forth 50 tines never letting it fly more than 200 hundred meters? Or straight down range, but if the screen becones useless then what?

It is supposed to return under los power, exceeding safe power to return etc. I may try testing this sometime, but What I did do was buy a dog tracker to locate a forced landing down range or a crash.

I actually decided on buying the Skydio for the autonomous flight capability with controler and beacon. Plus, MAYBE because it isn’t sold snymore to consumers. BUT, the company’s decisions isn’t for me to judge.

I would like to get any opinions on Holy Stone HS600 and HS720R. They are in a similar class as the AE86. But which HS is a better Drone? Aside from one being 2 and 3 gimbal camers.

I think any Drone that isn’t a toy should have antennas on the Drone

Thank you! I started flying drones about 15 years ago. In those days I had to do the flying. I think I paid $30 for a Walmart drone.

Bog

The AE86 Pro Max Plus controller indeed has a viewing screen. It also can act as a tablet with apps usage and internet connectivity.

The video transmission range where I have flown off my back yard isn’t much. But I have only flown it less than 10 times.

The Chinese operating instructions is not in depth. I do not know if I should turn off wifi when I am in range of my router.

I am still experimenting! The screen lags and will freeze in the neighborhood of 300 meters. Experimenting in altitude, I have only had it up to 60-70 meters two times.

Right now I am waiting on new blades from AliExpress, as well as both rear legs.

The box boasts 18Km distance but how do you take that? I can fly it back and forth 50 tines never letting it fly more than 200 hundred meters? Or straight down range, but if the screen becones useless then what?

It is supposed to return under los power, exceeding safe power to return etc. I may try testing this sometime, but What I did do was buy a dog tracker to locate a forced landing down range or a crash.

I actually decided on buying the Skydio for the autonomous flight capability with controler and beacon. Plus, MAYBE because it isn’t sold snymore to consumers. BUT, the company’s decisions isn’t for me to judge.

I would like to get any opinions on Holy Stone HS600 and HS720R. They are in a similar class as the AE86. But which HS is a better Drone? Aside from one being 2 and 3 gimbal camers.

I think any Drone that isn’t a toy should have antennas on the Drone
As far as the video feed/control/telemetry signal range is concerned; have you flown the drone in other areas? Do you have another drone with known signal range that you can fly in the same area to compare this drone with? My first Generation DJI Mini was supposed to have up to 5 miles control range. Around my house in a rural Tennessee area I could get about 1 mile if I flew at 375 feet AGL. The lower the altitude the shorter your range will be. That's because there will be more physical obstructions and more interference. If I flew my mini from a high cliff across a large valley, I could get 3 miles.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minus_210