Legal Issues with Selling Stock Drone Footage in the US

imoffit

Reaction score
So I am a drone pilot in Colorado with a Part 107. I am hoping to start selling drone footage on websites like shutterstock in order to make some money on the side. I was wondering what are the main legal issues with selling drone footage as stock footage? I know that you should not sell footage where you can recognize specific people or properties without their permission but are there legal issues with general urban aerial shots, as getting the permission of hundreds of property owners would not be realistic? What about public gatherings?

So I am a drone pilot in Colorado with a Part 107. I am hoping to start selling drone footage on websites like shutterstock in order to make some money on the side. I was wondering what are the main legal issues with selling drone footage as stock footage? I know that you should not sell footage where you can recognize specific people or properties without their permission but are there legal issues with general urban aerial shots, as getting the permission of hundreds of property owners would not be realistic? What about public gatherings?
You most likely will need to copyright all your videos/photos before publishing them on a public domain

I sell stock on most of the popular platforms, and when I was getting started learning about this I found the following articles helpful:

James
UAS Pilot | FAA Part 107 Licensed
Equipment: Mavic 3 Pro | Air 2s | Sony a7RV | Website: Coachella Valley Drone Services

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schultz