HS720E WiFi Antenna Mod

Freebird

Reaction score
So I finally figured out how to do this modification. Maybe a first? I'm in the process of testing.

Attachments

• 20210531_144955.jpg
    20210531_144955.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 54
Reactions: Davirowe
I'm in the process of doing something similar to your project. Mind a question or two? What are the antennas connected to, ANT 1 & 2 on the mainboard or to the wifi transmitter below the battery compartment? I like the location you chose for the antenna placement, I didn't think of that and may borrow the idea. One thing you might want to consider based upon my initial testing is to switch to a round antenna as opposed to the ones shown in the picture. I used similar antennas originally and the large surface area they present to a cross-wind can be a problem. Your mod looks really nice, well done. I'd love to hear the results of your testing when you get finished.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of doing something similar to your project. Mind a question or two? What are the antennas connected to, ANT 1 & 2 on the mainboard or to the wifi transmitter below the battery compartment? I like the location you chose for the antenna placement, I didn't think of that and may borrow the idea. One thing you might want to consider based upon my initial testing is to switch to a round antenna as opposed to the ones shown in the picture. I used similar antennas originally and the large surface area they present to a cross-wind can be a problem. Your mod looks really nice, well done. I'd love to hear the results of your testing when you get finished.
My antennas are connected under the battery. It's not a difficult job since they use i-pex connectors and just snap on. I had a hard time initially, because I was reluctant to tear into my bird without the knowledge of even having seen it done. Not many mod vids out. It took me a while to get basic knowledge of how drones work. Then, antenna placement was an issue. Holy Stone designed the 720e with very little space anywhere. Be careful if you choose to do it, as I did. Very little wiggle room for error. I have several different antennas to test. I have small clover leaf antennas, but I'm still researching if FPV antennas are compatible for wifi. I don't want to fry the electronics.

Thanks for the reply Freebird. I doubt you'll have any issues using any i-pex/u.fl connected antenna since you are still using the stock transmitter. I'm planning on using 2 6dbi dipoles connected the same as you have done but I also think I am going to vacuum form a new top housing to accommodate an additional amplifier. Still deciding upon the material I want to use for the vacuum forming, if I go that route.
Here's a picture of the inners of the HS720e if anyone is wondering where we're connecting the antennas:

20210614_160115413_iOS - Copy.jpg

Reactions: JohnyG and Davirowe
No problem Darth...so far you are the only one that has the information, I have been looking for the last 6 months. It would be nice to know which side is transmit, and which is receive. I thought of dipoles, but figured they were not inter-changeable. Besides, I read that they have to be 90 degrees from the tips to be effective. Makes sense, since that's how they are installed here. Although a higher dbi may compensate. Awesome to have a more powerful amp, but could have legal ramifications. My thoughts are on finding a repeater that relays in 5ghz. So far I can only find 5ghz in, and 2.4ghz out. Ophelia go app operates at 5ghz. See the issue? My samsung tablet has lousy wifi reception. So how doe's vacuum forming work?

Hey Freebird, I'm pretty sure that the 2 lengths of coax that run the length of the back arms are the receive antennas connected to ANT1 & ANT2. I have not removed them from the arms to see if one is shorter than the other indicating different frequencies because I don't want to take a chance of trashing the arms. I'm using dual band dipoles for this reason also because I don't want to take a chance removing the transmitter. So it shouldn't really matter which is which.

Here's a site that shows a good example of vacuum forming: Workshop Publishing - DIY Build Your Own Vacuum Forming Machine Building the machine is pretty simple, no need to purchase any plans as you apparently have good mechanical skills doing this mod. It just uses a shop vac and you can heat the sheets in a toaster oven.

Here's a link to a 4 W 5.8Ghz transmit only amplifier for video: SUNHANS eSunRC 4000mW 5.8GHz 36dBm TX WiFi Signal Booster UAV Transmit Amplifier | eBay
Hope this info helps.

After mine went upandaway and went into some thickets, I recovered it to find 2 broken arms and one broke motor. Now it is time for a thorough autopsy!

After mine went upandaway and went into some thickets, I recovered it to find 2 broken arms and one broke motor. Now it is time for a thorough autopsy!
Sounds like the perfect time to do some looking around inside the drone. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Sorry to hear about that upandaway, I think there are issues with newer Ophelia go apps and the ground positioning sensor. I use an older version of the app, and haven't had a problem since. I always make sure I use a take-off pad, and do a complete check list before taking off. If she goes up 6ft at take off, and is solid still, you should be good to proceed.
Now that your bird is toast, you may want to consider a Mavic mini2 or a Mavic air2. I'm about ready to move on to the mini2, so I can enjoy Occusync. My HS720E is still special to me and is fun to modify. Good Luck!

If she goes up 6ft at take off, and is solid still, you should be good to proceed.
I always do the same. Every issue I've ever had with my 720e occurred as soon as it lifted off, granted that only happened once or twice luckily.
so I can enjoy Occusync
I still do not understand how Occusync can transmit anywhere near 10km if they are within FCC power limits. RF is RF the last time I checked.

So here are my results so far, as to testing two wifi antennas. With the 8dbi antennas, shown in picture, I got an extra 100ft distance with line of sight. No difference noted with tree blockage. With cheap Anbee 5.8ghz circular clover leaf antennas, I had no significant distance improvement, but I was surprised to experience no wifi connection drop. Also, there was no lag in video, when turning or going behind trees. Excellent to me, because my main interest is staying solid when getting footage for videos. I will keep on testing.

That's nice Freebird. 100 ft. is quite a large improvement percentage-wise over the stock configuration. I figured cloverleaf antennas would improve the FPV considering how much the HS720e tends to roll and pitch when maneuvering. I'll be sure to post some of my results also when I get the parts I'm waiting on and throw the bird back together.

Well so much for my mod. Crashed and pinched one of the coax connecting the new antennas and looks like it trashed the transmitter. Managed to get a maximum of 1759 m without FPV before it occurred. Looks like it's time for a Mini 2. LOL

Well so much for my mod. Crashed and pinched one of the coax connecting the new antennas and looks like it trashed the transmitter. Managed to get a maximum of 1759 m without FPV before it occurred. Looks like it's time for a Mini 2. LOL
Oh no! Sorry to hear that. So did it not return home? How did it crash?

My own stupidity. I was already happy with the distance I was capable of getting but wanted to focus on FPV performance next. So I was flying the HS720e with the new antennas on it and staring intently at my controller mounted tablet to see how stable the feed was and proceeded to fly it sideways directly into a lamppost. It impacted right on the spot where the coax entered the body and smashed the coax, which I unfortunately didn't notice.
WIN_20210623_10_28_28_Pro.jpg
When I tried to pre-flight again after about 20-30 seconds I lost all signal level display on the controller. So I decided to hook the original antennas back up and it was same, no signal level from the drone. So the transmitter is shot.
My Mini 2 arrives tomorrow.

What i was wondering if you put the yagi antenna 5.8 ghz on the antenna stick that does not have a antenna in it on these drones .Would the cell phone Wi Fi being used pick up for a longer range. the cell phone does have 802.11n and the H720E puts out a 5.725-5.850 GHz signal.I guess in simple terms would back and forth signals both take a path threw the yagi antenna stuck over the stick with out the antenna in it.And than go threw the cell phone antenna

What i was wondering if you put the yagi antenna 5.8 ghz on the antenna stick that does not have a antenna in it on these drones .Would the cell phone Wi Fi being used pick up for a longer range. the cell phone does have 802.11n and the H720E puts out a 5.725-5.850 GHz signal.I guess in simple terms would back and forth signals both take a path threw the yagi antenna stuck over the stick with out the antenna in it.And than go threw the cell phone antenna
No it wouldn't do anything because the video is being received by the phone's internal antenna.

Interesting i thought it might hit the yagi first and than the cell phone antenna Thanks !

Thanks for the reply Freebird. I doubt you'll have any issues using any i-pex/u.fl connected antenna since you are still using the stock transmitter. I'm planning on using 2 6dbi dipoles connected the same as you have done but I also think I am going to vacuum form a new top housing to accommodate an additional amplifier. Still deciding upon the material I want to use for the vacuum forming, if I go that route.
Here's a picture of the inners of the HS720e if anyone is wondering where we're connecting the antennas:

View attachment 215
Hi, I'm interested in trying this mod. The two antennas, are they both

View attachment 215
Hi, probably a stupid question (I'm learning!), but what's the difference between Ant1 and 2, and the wifi transmitter? Wifi-transmitter is for video and is 5GHz?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DRONEric