HS720 range limits

watkincm

Reaction score
I acquired this model because it listed a range of >2500 ft. - the range I needed to fully monitor the surrounding forest.
Best attempt so far, however, gets me tp a maximum of <700 ft. distance
It seems to do better at higher altitudes - at alt.130ft. it reached 460 ft. - at alt. 260 ft. it reaches 697 ft.
Wifi is lost, Ophelia Go disconnects, I lose visual on the iPhone and any control of the device. Nothing to do but RTH.
Line of sight is lost at about 350 ft. out because of surrounding forestation.
Is this going to inhibit my range, period, or is there something I can do to boost it?

Not without modifying your controller and drone. This is not legal I'm sure but since you asked.....search EBay or Amazon for Sunhans RF amplifiers. You'll need a 2.4Ghz transmit & receive UAV amp for your controller and a 5.8Ghz transmit only UAV amp for your drone (for video streaming to your iPhone). Probably about $150-$200 all together depending upon which units you purchase. You'll also have to be capable of doing some soldering.

Reactions: watkincm
Not without modifying your controller and drone. This is not legal I'm sure but since you asked.....search EBay or Amazon for Sunhans RF amplifiers. You'll need a 2.4Ghz transmit & receive UAV amp for your controller and a 5.8Ghz transmit only UAV amp for your drone (for video streaming to your iPhone). Probably about $150-$200 all together depending upon which units you purchase. You'll also have to be capable of doing some soldering.
Thanks for the rapid response... without fully understanding the answer, I still sorta, kinda, figured the solution would along these lines. Last time I soldered a board I melted a whole chunk of it.
I wonder though if there is a drone that would do the job without having to a) do unnatural acts, b) void the warranty?
Are you allowed to make recommendations here?

Based upon what my friend tells me about his DJI, that would probably do what you want but not as cheaply. This forum isn't official support for the manufacturers so I don't know what good any recommendations made here would do but feel free to if you'd like.

EDIT: I now have a DJI Mini 2 ($499, highly recommend the Fly More bundle for $599) and it would easily do what you specify. Surprisingly the DJI Fly app does not have Waypoint flight or a Follow Me mode, but with the video range you'll get that should not be an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: watkincm
I have an HS720 and the first thing I had to do was take it out of beginner mode then I was able to set it for max distance and height . The FPV distance is listed as 984-1640 feet and the distance is listed as 2624-3277 feet .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DRONEric