HS720 intermittent loss of response to yaw and slu inputs

jdw3rd

Reaction score
So..... I've had my HS720 for several months and have enjoyed the heck out of it. I had one catastrophic crash in the beginning of November 2020 which took out three of the four control arms. I purchased replacements from Holy Stone, installed them, ran a few test flights out at the ball field and patted myself on the back for a job well done. The drone worked flawlessly for a few months until...

On Jan. 2, 2021 I went out to a local lighthouse to fly and film. It was COLD with a mild but steady breeze. Did all the normal preflight stuff then used one touch takeoff and ran her up to about 30 feet. As I ran a test circuit to verify control response etc. the drone suddenly stopped responding to slue left, slew right and yaw left, yaw right - in other words: no response when either stich was pushed left/right. Forward, backward and up, down input (stick forward, stick backward) response stayed solid. I maneuvered her back to me, did an in hand landing and went home to warm up. The next day I flew in my front yard to see what was going on and the control response issue would come and go every several seconds.

Now - when I replaced my armatures I had to scrape off some sort of brown resin that had been applied over the ANT1 pads which I scraped off with an X-Acto knife. So is it possible that one antenna is the pickup for forward/backward stick input and the other antenna is the pickup for left/right stick inputs?

Any suggestions on what to look for where would be GREATLY appreciated! I should forewarn you that I'm not going to replace chips or processors or anything like that. I'll bridge a cut etch on the board or re-solder cold solder joints etc. but I'm not into open heart surgery :)

I've attached an image of the circuit board before I attached the new antenna wires and the video of Fort Adams (just for fun).

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 8
I had hoped for some suggestions from those more experienced than I; perhaps there will still be...

The suggestion made by Holy Stone support (USA) was to turn off "Beginner Mode". I never knew this setting existed but when I checked via the Ophelia GO app' I found I was in Beginner Mode - turned it off.

I took the drone out today for about 15 minutes and could not force the problem to recur. Odd: If I've been in Beginner Mode all this time then why didn't the problem exist all along? Perhaps I fat fingered something and set Beginner Mode without knowing it or perhaps Beginner Mode has nothing to do with it. I'll run some more tests in and out of this mode and see what happens.

I'd still like other opinions and insights.

Reactions: PierreDelecto
Another series of test flights without issue. This time I put the drone up to 300' and had no issues. Next I'll be turning "beginner Mode" back on to see if the problem reoccurs.

Another series of test flights without issue. This time I put the drone up to 300' and had no issues. Next I'll be turning "beginner Mode" back on to see if the problem reoccurs.
I just got the drone yesterday and having this issue out of the box. Thats what brought me to this site. I believe the problem has something to do with the app. Flew it without the phone and it performed flawlessly. There are some safety settings in the Safety tab where the beginner switch is found. I'll continue to experiment with it and see what happens. Thanks for your post, it gave me a direction in which to start troubleshooting

I just got the drone yesterday and having this issue out of the box. Thats what brought me to this site. I believe the problem has something to do with the app. Flew it without the phone and it performed flawlessly. There are some safety settings in the Safety tab where the beginner switch is found. I'll continue to experiment with it and see what happens. Thanks for your post, it gave me a direction in which to start troubleshooting

Attached is a screenshot of my GO app. Once changing these settings, it will prompt to update to the drone. Once these parameters are increased the drone seems to operate as intended

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 16.09.34.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 16.09.34.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 21
It would be a good idea to uninstall Ophelia GO and then reinstall from the App Store. This will insure you have the latest version. You can EMail Holy Stone support at [email protected] Holy Stone has a 90 day warranty (typical of the drone industry) so watch the calendar - If this is not resolved within SIXTY DAYS reach out to Holy Stone with a "defective right out of the box claim: there's a good chance they will send a replacement...

The screen shot of the Ophelia GO app shows it in Metric mode - I'd suggest you set yourself to Imperial units of measure (feet). Here's a few screen grabs of my Ophelia showing Beginner Mode, non-beginner mode min. , non-beginner mode max. (imperial UoM) and the Help screen showing contact info and App version.

As soon as I get the chance I will set my HS720 back to Beginner and run some tests then report back my findings.

(think I'll re-install Ophelia GO myself just to insure I'm current :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1577.PNG
    IMG_1577.PNG
    262.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1578.PNG
    IMG_1578.PNG
    263.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1579.PNG
    IMG_1579.PNG
    259 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1581.PNG
    IMG_1581.PNG
    116.8 KB · Views: 6
Concerning my suggestion "It would be a good idea to uninstall Ophelia GO and then reinstall from the App Store."

I just did so and to my surprise the app RESET to BEGINNER MODE. Heads-Up: verify / reconfigure your settings under Safety whenever you install a new version of Ophelia GO.

App version I just got is 2.1.6(1) so that's most likely the current version.

Finally tested this out by setting my HS720 back into "Beginner Mode". As soon as the drone went outside of 9 feet (the fence?) it would reorient itself so it was facing away from "Home" and stop responding to yaw and slue inputs. Put it back *out* of Beginner Mode *RECONFIGURED THE DISTANCE PARAMETERS* as they seemed to stay at the "Beginner Mode" values and flew a Tap Fly GPS circuit around the neighborhood.

Also flew around a bit under direct control without any problems: Happy Camper :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redelheit