HS175 Calibrations

Teddyu

Reaction score
First drone is a HS175. Read the user manual and pretty much understand the initial set-up. I will be using my smart phone for set-up and viewing flight.

My question concerns subsequent flights following a battery replacement in the drone. The manual does not specify, but does a complete calibration need to be re-done each replacement?

I never re-calibrate between battery changes. If I am frequently flying from the same place, like my back yard, I never re-calibrate at all.

My question is why does one ever have to calibrate the magnetic compass? What does the compass do? Don't both the drone and the smart phone have a GPS receiver? I would think that the GPS would control the direction and position of the drone when automatically returning home, etc. Does anyone know what the compass does?

My question is why does one ever have to calibrate the magnetic compass? What does the compass do? Don't both the drone and the smart phone have a GPS receiver? I would think that the GPS would control the direction and position of the drone when automatically returning home, etc. Does anyone know what the compass does?
The GPS receiver can determine the position of the drone on the ground with high accuracy, but it does not know which side the drone is facing north. To accurately hold a position or to auto-return, the drone's flight controller does not have enough information from the GPS receiver about the current coordinates. He still needs information about the direction of the coordinates towards which he must move. This is what a compass is for. In different flight areas, the natural magnetic field can be different, it can also be affected by extraneous magnetic fields and interference. Therefore, it is advisable to recalibrate the compass at a new flight site in order to adjust it taking into account the magnetic field in this particular area.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rick1