Holystone HS720 unstable and wobbly

JAndrew17

Reaction score
Hello,
Completely new to drone flying. I recently bought a holystone drone and it's pretty good. But it wobbles all over the place. In videos of how to fly a drone, they're all butter smooth, wheras mine jingles from side to side. It is not particularly windy when I was flying it so I don't think it's that. Is this something others experience with this model or are there tips and changes that I can make to make it more stable?

Thanks for any advice.

Reactions: ViperEye
Hello,
Completely new to drone flying. I recently bought a holystone drone and it's pretty good. But it wobbles all over the place. In videos of how to fly a drone, they're all butter smooth, wheras mine jingles from side to side. It is not particularly windy when I was flying it so I don't think it's that. Is this something others experience with this model or are there tips and changes that I can make to make it more stable?

Thanks for any advice.
Make sure the gyros are calibrated on each flight.

I'm still learning also, when that happens with my HS720G I discovered turning off GPS stabilises it, seems it is 'toilet bowling' due to poor GPS signals. If I wait till I have more satellites - at least 14 - it is better when the GPS is turned back on, although sometimes it take a few attempts. Obviously only turn the GPS off when the drone is near you, as 'Return to Home' etc won't work.

Just for the future record, I've had similar behavior with other drones when one prop had a very small chip/dent in the trailing side. Check to make sure all props are undamaged. Especially if you see wobble-still-wobble-still back and forth, about one second each. (Electronic stabilization trying to compensate)

I'm still learning also, when that happens with my HS720G I discovered turning off GPS stabilises it, seems it is 'toilet bowling' due to poor GPS signals. If I wait till I have more satellites - at least 14 - it is better when the GPS is turned back on, although sometimes it take a few attempts. Obviously only turn the GPS off when the drone is near you, as 'Return to Home' etc won't work.
I don't think so. GPS is designed to locate a position in 3D space, by comparing the distances from 3 or more satellites. The GPS technology cannot be used to establish the attitude of the object. There is no way that the drone antennae can establish the direction of the satellites.

Worn propeller blades from learning curves and the toilet bowl effect are the two causes of instability that I can identify. The issue I have with the GPS turn off method is that it always happens someplace more distance than I am super comfy with flying manually, usually on a GPS camera run.

Things that run on GPS usually do so happily with something in excess of six satellites. The HDOP and PDOP being over certain tolerances cause hiccups with navigation. These drones are doing something else to figure out their altitude. Hand launch a few times and you'll see this as it resets to zero at seven feet.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy