Holy Stone HS270 issues.

Talon1Guy

Reaction score
All right guys, so I'm a new owner of an HS270 drone. I read a ton of reviews about this drone and it seemed to me to be a really solid beginner drone. However; I'm beginning to find a LOT of issues with it. I'll list them one by one. Maybe y'all can give me some insight into whether my drone is defective or I'm simply inexperienced.

1. Drone won't stabilize while dead stick. After a few seconds left hovering in place it begins to wobble in circles that gradually gets bigger and bigger. Now where I was flying there is slight breezes but nothing that would severely push the drone off it's flight trajectory.

2. Locked follow me function does not work at all. I've tried several times in the app to use this feature and the drone just doesn't respond. It will hover in place but will not track it's target at all. Normal follow me mode will work but it is never accurately lined up on the phone and it always shooting off to the right of the target.

3. Drone WiFi constantly disconnect from my phone. I use a Samsung Galaxy S8 active and it's a great phone but it appears that if the drone is more than 20ft from me I can't keep a stable connection with it. This is problematic as trying to use it for way-point flight is almost impossible as it fails to stay connected long enough to initiate a flight plan or it loses connection because it flew out of range then just stops and hovers. It boasts a connection range of 30 meters but I have tried over and over and I swear it's not anywhere close to that.

4. GPS signal is always "weak" despite being connected enough to fly the drone adequately in the standard flight mode and when I connect the phone and app to the drone is constantly tells me that "the GPS signal is too weak" and half the app functions are useless at that point. I live on a wide open piece of land with no building anywhere near me and no towers or high-power lines within 20 miles. My phone's gps accuracy is so good that I've lost my phone in a field and used another phone that could track it's gps signal to within 5 feet of it so I know that GPS signal where I'm at is fantastic. So why is this drone having such a dang hard time finding and maintaining gps connection? Is it defective? I've flown it probably 5 times now and have had the GPS problems consistently since I took it out of the box for it's first test flight.

Please, if you have any insight, help a guy out. I'm trying to wet my feet before I get my Part 107 to use drone footage in my business but if this is the "best" an entry level drone has to offer for $200 I feel like maybe drone piloting might be out of reach for me. I'm not investing $2000 in a quality drone if they're all gonna have crap like this going wrong with them. At this point I'm not even sure I can use this thing as a trainer drone because it's so unstable in flight and the functions I need it for don't work properly a majority of the time.

All right guys, so I'm a new owner of an HS270 drone. I read a ton of reviews about this drone and it seemed to me to be a really solid beginner drone. However; I'm beginning to find a LOT of issues with it. I'll list them one by one. Maybe y'all can give me some insight into whether my drone is defective or I'm simply inexperienced.

Please, if you have any insight, help a guy out. I'm trying to wet my feet before I get my Part 107 to use drone footage in my business but if this is the "best" an entry level drone has to offer for $200 I feel like maybe drone piloting might be out of reach for me. I'm not investing $2000 in a quality drone if they're all gonna have crap like this going wrong with them. At this point I'm not even sure I can use this thing as a trainer drone because it's so unstable in flight and the functions I need it for don't work properly a majority of the time.
Don’t frequent this forum much, but in passing noticed your post.

No comparison to quality drones… but as you’ve noted, above the $200 mark. If you can return it, I’d highly suggest it and pickup a DJI Mini 2 or lowest cost quality is a Mini SE.

Both are relatively low cost, although similar features & quality of higher priced drones. The Mini 2 has better RC transmission, and better camera. The Mini SE is a hybrid of Mini and Mini 2 at a exceptionally low $300 tag.

Stability is amazingly stable, even in mild / moderate winds. Gimbal action & stabilization is essentially premium on a low cost craft. Extremely quite craft, not very noticeable and doesn’t draw much attention. Several actually use the Mini2 in work… so it may be your end point as well, might not find a need to purchase larger drones depending on your needs.

If you’re environment is RF noisy, you might appreciate the Mini2‘s improved RC Transmission… better in clutter conditions and provides much better distance if in open areas.

Many don’t like the DJI Brand for various reasons, but they are the largest Consumer sUAV manufacture and their quality is consistently top notch. You get much more for your money, especially when you compare to the one you purchased.

I have a holy stone hs 720 and although its a different model than yours a lot of the features are the same . make sure its not in beginner mode !! always calibrate the compass and gyro as per manual and make sure the lights indicate its calibrated properly and you have at least the min number of gps signals required !! (very important for stable flight) !! your controller should have a trimmer adjustment to correct drifting sideways or forward / backward movement . does your app have the option to set flight parameters such and height / distance ?? My hs720 flies as good as the DJI of the same price range (under 300.00) ! the only issue I had was getting the app to work on my phone Good Luck !!!

contact holy stone if you're still having problems , their customer service has been very good !!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy