Hello from Alabama, Gulfcoast

TManGulfCoast

Reaction score
I have been playing with toy drones for a couple years. Fell in love with it and now getting
more serious. Got my Trust. Bought a used Hubsan Zino 2 Plus last year. It was great until I decided to upgrade the firmware and semi-bricked it. Bought myself a DJI Mini-3 (Not the Pro) for Christmas. Love it, Love It, Love it.

Plan to get my Part-107 and find a way to make money with my new hobby-obsession. Currently saving up for my next drone. Looking for a decent non-DJI alternative to the Air3 or Mavic. The mini drones are nice but flying the Zino 2+ made me REALLY like a lager drone. I hate that there is not a decent U.S. made consumer or prosumer drone. I am considering the Fimi X8 Pro but have been reading mixed reviews so I am waiting Fimi to fix some issues wtih that one.. Will probably get a Fimi 2022 V2 since it seems to be the least expensive decent drone. Also considering the Spectra Air, the DJI Air-3 clone (But we all know what it really is 😉).

Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Reactions: GFields

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA.

No recommendations for an alternative drone, to each his/her own…

But what you really need to do it research what it takes to start a Drone business… Folks think all they need are some flyers (printed advertisements…), some business crds, and wait for the call to start coming in…

Visit your local BBB or other organizations that offers FREE help for entrepreneurs… You need more than a part 107 licensee, you need a business license, there are tax inplications, (you are self-employed there fore responsible for all your SSI contribution, and so much more…

I am long-since retired and I have childhood friends who bragged for decades how much money they made self-employed, getting paid in cash and not having to pay income tax on so much of their income… Believe me, they did not save that much…) and now that they have lived the "good life;" their only income is minimal social security and Medicaid… But thank goodness for food banks…

Do it right and you will be a lot happier…

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 3, including the User Manual.

Fly On and Fly Safe…

Reactions: GFields
If you do consider the Mavic Mini 3, be aware the cheaper model has no avoidance features at all. . I purchased the Mini3 a few weeks ago, but haven't taken it for a fly due to ending up in hospital the day the postman delivered it, bummer. I now have the Mini 1, 2 and 3. Unfortunately the Mini 4's price is beyond my bank manager (Wifey) and myself. As with many of my DJI quads I'll have to wait until someone wants to sell a used model. So far I've been very lucky, each of the used quads have been extremely low hours with no scratches or dents. Perhaps this is one way you can save money. It's amazing how many people buy a complete DJI Kit, fly it once, discover it wasn't as much fun as they've been told and then sell it at a good markdown.

For example, I had a knock on the front door, the person knocking was a complete stranger who asked if I wanted to buy his Mavic Pro with a FlyMore Package. He asked for $200 AUD (about $140 USD). It had flown for one short flight and was immaculate. I found out later why the price was so low, he had a gambling debt and 3 rather large henchmen wanted payment. Silly guy even had to sell a complete house of furniture, his car and motorbike.

Good luck in finding a good deal on whatever you choose. Personally I'd be looking at something larger than a Mini. Whilst they're great little quads they are very light and tend to get knocked around by wind. I imagine this may affect the accuracy of your surveying, plus increase the number of days unsuitable for flying.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Hey there Stu. I already hava a DJI Mini-3 (cheaper model). Got it in December last year (2023). Obstacle avoidance is not really an issue for right now. I really like it but many days that I want fly, it is pretty windy. My Zino 2Plus worked really good in the wind (until it bricked). Right now I'm just putting a few dollars away every month with plans of getting another bigger drone. In the mean-time I'll be flying my mini-3 working on becoming a more proficient pilot. Also constantly searching for a resolution to unbrick this Zino-2 Plus.

Hi there TMan. Sorry I don't know your name, I prefer to call people by their first names if I know them.

What a shame about your Zino, It's a quadcopter I've never come across before. You Americans have a much larger number to pick from. The quads we have over here are darned expensive as well, our importers don't like bringing too many different types into the country due to a much lower population

What did you do to "brick" the Zino? and what are the symptoms which make you think it's bricked?

What a shame you aren't an Aussie. I advertised in our local on-line local news forum for someone to team up with to go flying. I find flying with someone else is much more enjoyable. Nobody replied, mainly due to living in a small country town I guess. The population in the entire shire is just 7,000. I think the only other quad pilot is the fire chief and he only uses his quad to check the fires he attends.

Sounds like you do much the same as myself. Save the pennies and when there's enough another quad appears. My squadron of DJI's consists of a Mavic Mini 1, 2 and 3, 2 x Mavic Pro's, one Mavic Pro Platinum, a Mavic 2, 2 x Mavic Airs and a Mavic Air 2. 2 Phantom 1's, 2 Phantom 2's (shortly to be another added) and 2 Phantom 3's

Plus there's close to another 40 of various breeds, from heavy lift hexcopters to Micro Mini's and 15 self designed and built 450's I have this problem of never wanting to sell off any of them. My flying time has dropped off due to not being able to walk, but the Aussie Veteran Association donated a brand new heavy duty Disability Scooter so I can get to massive flying field at the end of my street. They even supplied a large bag which fits to the rear of the seat which can hold all the Minis. Because we live in a 2 story home they even fitted an electric chair on the steps at the rear of the house.

Watch out when buying that "Larger Quad" they can be rather expensive. Then again the prices of electronics over there is much less expensive than here. The reason isn't just the current value of our dollar, 67 cents US to our pathetic dollar, that means something costing $300 here is about $200 for you. Plus our retailers want to make more money, again due to less population.

II purchased a "Parts Only" Mini 2 this afternoon on Ebay. $140 USD. I may be able to fix it, but if not it'll give me spare parts for the new Mini 2.

I must go, it's 4.15am and I need some sleep :)

Cheers mate, all the best, happy flying. Stu

I have been playing with toy drones for a couple years. Fell in love with it and now getting
more serious. Got my Trust. Bought a used Hubsan Zino 2 Plus last year. It was great until I decided to upgrade the firmware and semi-bricked it. Bought myself a DJI Mini-3 (Not the Pro) for Christmas. Love it, Love It, Love it.

Plan to get my Part-107 and find a way to make money with my new hobby-obsession. Currently saving up for my next drone. Looking for a decent non-DJI alternative to the Air3 or Mavic. The mini drones are nice but flying the Zino 2+ made me REALLY like a lager drone. I hate that there is not a decent U.S. made consumer or prosumer drone. I am considering the Fimi X8 Pro but have been reading mixed reviews so I am waiting Fimi to fix some issues wtih that one.. Will probably get a Fimi 2022 V2 since it seems to be the least expensive decent drone. Also considering the Spectra Air, the DJI Air-3 clone (But we all know what it really is 😉).

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Reactions: LoudThunder

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbaugh66