Flying tips needed

joel.garza11

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been flying a little bit here and there for a couple of months now, still working on my license.
But I want to improve my flying and getting the hang of the drone. I was wondering if, when flying in a straight line, the drone shifts position (nothing too major), and if I need to be adjusting for those movements on my controller?

<<...if I need to be adjusting for those movements on my controller?>>
Not unless you are going to hit something.

Why is the drone not fly in a straight line? Is the wind pushing it off track? Does it always fly off track in the same direction? Are you tilting the control stick inadvertently causing to move off track? Does it consistently move in one direction or the other when you hover?

Unlike fixed wing RC planes, the drone controller does not have trim tabs to adjust the flight path. The drone does not have a propeller pulling it straight forward and horizontal and vertical stabilizers to keep it on track. One of the beauties of the drone is that it will fly in all directions, facing in any direction.

I have tried to fly my HS720 like a fixed wing airplane, close to the ground, following a straight line and making 90 degree turns while flying a precise rectangular pattern. It is difficult to keep it pointed straight forward and flying straight ahead while trying fly a pattern. If the drone will hover in place, then all of the movements are the result of moving the sticks.

When I am flying close to the ground, less than 3 or 4 feet, then I have better control with the GPS turned off. Not sure why, but the GPS seems to fight the control inputs at very low altitudes. Maybe it does the same at higher altitudes but I can't see it.

Practice, practice, practice.

Why is the drone not fly in a straight line? Is the wind pushing it off track? Does it always fly off track in the same direction? Are you tilting the control stick inadvertently causing to move off track? Does it consistently move in one direction or the other when you hover?

Unlike fixed wing RC planes, the drone controller does not have trim tabs to adjust the flight path. The drone does not have a propeller pulling it straight forward and horizontal and vertical stabilizers to keep it on track. One of the beauties of the drone is that it will fly in all directions, facing in any direction.

I have tried to fly my HS720 like a fixed wing airplane, close to the ground, following a straight line and making 90 degree turns while flying a precise rectangular pattern. It is difficult to keep it pointed straight forward and flying straight ahead while trying fly a pattern. If the drone will hover in place, then all of the movements are the result of moving the sticks.

When I am flying close to the ground, less than 3 or 4 feet, then I have better control with the GPS turned off. Not sure why, but the GPS seems to fight the control inputs at very low altitudes. Maybe it does the same at higher altitudes but I can't see it.

I must venture to disagree with "Unlike fixed wing RC planes, the drone controller does not have trim tabs to adjust the flight path." All my transmitters have trim tabs, sometimes hidden. On my HS175 you press on the top of the throttle switch, whereupon the other stick enters trim mode.

It was fairly windy the other day when I was flying. I am unsure how much wind needs to be present to start affecting the movement of the drone.

I have only driven this drone a couple of times in which I am actively paying attention to how it flies, so I am unsure if it inconsistent or not.

I may or may not be tilting it off in some werird direction without knowing, I will keep an eye out for this when i fly next.

Thanks for the inputs, I will keep practicing and be more aware of my controlling.

PHPH, alas, I am wrong about the trim tabs, but I will tell you this... it won't be the last time I am wrong!

The 720E is the only drone I have flown. After re-reading the manual and looking over the controller I am convinced that there are no trim tabs on this unit.

What are the trims used for? The 720 will fly on a specific heading no matter what direction it is facing by moving the joysticks. How do the trims factor in? Do most drones have trims? Oh, and the throttle switch, what is that? I don't have one of those either.

PHPH, alas, I am wrong about the trim tabs, but I will tell you this... it won't be the last time I am wrong!

The 720E is the only drone I have flown. After re-reading the manual and looking over the controller I am convinced that there are no trim tabs on this unit.

What are the trims used for? The 720 will fly on a specific heading no matter what direction it is facing by moving the joysticks. How do the trims factor in? Do most drones have trims? Oh, and the throttle switch, what is that? I don't have one of those either.
Trims are a feature of both model and full-sized aircraft of all kinds. The idea is that when you take your hands off the controls the aircraft will maintain its attitude and speed. This is not the same as auto-pilot, because it can still be tipped up or blown sideways by a gust of wind.
Both my HS transmitters have a switch which is activated by pressing on the top of the throttle lever down into the casing. When that is activated the other lever acts to set trims forward/backward and left/right.

I am aware of what trims are and how they work. I have flown RC aircraft for decades and I have a pilot license. Perhaps the difference is the drone model that we are flying. Mine is a HS 720E. When I let go of the joysticks the drone holds both position and altitude.

Also I have no throttle. The speed of the motors/propellers is controlled by the drone, not by the pilot. The left Joystick (Mode2) controls the ascent/decent and the rotation left/right. The right joystick controls the forward/backwards and left/right movements. Neither the left or right joysticks can be depressed into the controller for a switch to control trim.

I am sure the differences in operation are simply the differences in the various model's capabilities.

I am aware of what trims are and how they work. I have flown RC aircraft for decades and I have a pilot license. Perhaps the difference is the drone model that we are flying. Mine is a HS 720E. When I let go of the joysticks the drone holds both position and altitude.

Also I have no throttle. The speed of the motors/propellers is controlled by the drone, not by the pilot. The left Joystick (Mode2) controls the ascent/decent and the rotation left/right. The right joystick controls the forward/backwards and left/right movements. Neither the left or right joysticks can be depressed into the controller for a switch to control trim.

I am sure the differences in operation are simply the differences in the various model's capabilities.
OK, if you wish to clever. Otherwise look at page 22 of the HS720e Instructions For Use document, where Holystone itself refers to the throttle stick. Remember also that drone capabilities have evolved. I still have some tiny ones for indoor flying where the left stick is not spring loaded to the centre, and is very definitely a throttle

Gees O Pete! Why don't we argue about semantics? Joystick, control stick, throttle stick, etc. they are all the same. That said, the 720E does not have a user controlled throttle. Look at page 11. Left Joystick: Ascend/Descend-Rotate Left/Right.

By definition a throttle is a device controlling the flow of fuel or power to an engine. I cannot control the speed or power of the drone motors. I can only control the height, and the drone computer controls the throttle or power of the motors to follow my command to hold position, ascend or descend. Is that not so?

This will be my last post on this subject. I will not follow you down the rabbit hole of disagreement and gamesmanship.

Gees O Pete! Why don't we argue about semantics? Joystick, control stick, throttle stick, etc. they are all the same. That said, the 720E does not have a user controlled throttle. Look at page 11. Left Joystick: Ascend/Descend-Rotate Left/Right.

By definition a throttle is a device controlling the flow of fuel or power to an engine. I cannot control the speed or power of the drone motors. I can only control the height, and the drone computer controls the throttle or power of the motors to follow my command to hold position, ascend or descend. Is that not so?

This will be my last post on this subject. I will not follow you down the rabbit hole of disagreement and gamesmanship.
If you really have a pilot's license you would know that a joystick is quite different from a throttle stick. You would also understand that different aircraft have different controls and it is unwise to pontificate on the characteristics of all aircraft when you only have hours on one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbaugh66