Drones after EMP?

TomStedham

Reaction score
Hi, new member; fiction writer. So the book premise is that multiple nukes have detonated over America. EMP blasts, and the grid is down, etc... Full "SHTF", that sort of thing. If my drones and controllers were protected (Faraday cage) and still functioned, could I fly and use them? Meaning: could I still see video, without cell reception? Or is the video stuff dependent on cell towers? I want to have my group using some drones for security, but I don't want to write the whole book, and then get fact-checked by actual drone users, laughing at how unrealistic my tale is.
To be clear: I've never flown a drone, so I have zero knowledge. Let's say the GPS satellites are still functioning, but not the cell towers. Could anyone walk me thru what limitations I would be facing? Maybe certain features don't work properly; maybe the "return home" function doesn't work? Or maybe I can't get a video signal from the full distance of several miles...? Or maybe, everything works like normal.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Again: I don't want to write a great story, and then get laughed out for my lack of drone knowledge. I'm trying to make this as "real" as possible. I read a book where a nurse killed a man by injecting him with an air bubble..... in his shoulder, not into a vein. That's not how it works. lol... So you could tell that the writer had no medical experience at all.
I'd like to avoid a similar gaffe in my book. Please help...... 😇
Tom

Hi, new member; fiction writer. So the book premise is that multiple nukes have detonated over America. EMP blasts, and the grid is down, etc... Full "SHTF", that sort of thing. If my drones and controllers were protected (Faraday cage) and still functioned, could I fly and use them? Meaning: could I still see video, without cell reception? Or is the video stuff dependent on cell towers? I want to have my group using some drones for security, but I don't want to write the whole book, and then get fact-checked by actual drone users, laughing at how unrealistic my tale is.
To be clear: I've never flown a drone, so I have zero knowledge. Let's say the GPS satellites are still functioning, but not the cell towers. Could anyone walk me thru what limitations I would be facing? Maybe certain features don't work properly; maybe the "return home" function doesn't work? Or maybe I can't get a video signal from the full distance of several miles...? Or maybe, everything works like normal.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Again: I don't want to write a great story, and then get laughed out for my lack of drone knowledge. I'm trying to make this as "real" as possible. I read a book where a nurse killed a man by injecting him with an air bubble..... in his shoulder, not into a vein. That's not how it works. lol... So you could tell that the writer had no medical experience at all.
I'd like to avoid a similar gaffe in my book. Please help...... 😇
Tom
I'd say it depends on how the company has implemented the drone hardware/software.

I can't speak for other brands, but I have an older Parrot Bebop 2 drone. That drone will use wifi to talk directly to the controller/phone. So as long as he controller/phone has working wifi and can connect to the drone, the drone will fly, be controllable and stream video regardless of if there is cell service or not.

It can also do almost 4 kms on 2.4 ghz signal, but I've never flow it that far nor have I tried to stream video from it much further than a couple hundred feet. Most drones have an SD card that records the video so it can be viewed after the flight even if it can't be streamed real time. The Bebop 2 has internal memory, no SD card.

I'd say it depends on how the company has implemented the drone hardware/software.

I can't speak for other brands, but I have an older Parrot Bebop 2 drone. That drone will use wifi to talk directly to the controller/phone. So as long as he controller/phone has working wifi and can connect to the drone, the drone will fly, be controllable and stream video regardless of if there is cell service or not.

It can also do almost 4 kms on 2.4 ghz signal, but I've never flow it that far nor have I tried to stream video from it much further than a couple hundred feet. Most drones have an SD card that records the video so it can be viewed after the flight even if it can't be streamed real time. The Bebop 2 has internal memory, no SD card.
Thank you very much!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Early flyer