Do Flight Controllers need to be rated for battery sizes like ESCs do?

TrpMbl

Reaction score
I'm aware that if you use a 6s battery with a 4s rated ESC then there is a high chance of burning it up, but is the same true for flight controllers?

As far as I'm aware they just get a stepped-down 5v from either the PDB, the ESC or a BEC and just send a signal to the ESC to instruct it on what speed to spin the motors.

So there's no requirement for them to ever take any load from the battery right?

Why then, do some of these flight controllers have a rating for battery size?

Like this one that says it's rated for 2s-4s (also 12A): BETAFPV Toothpick F4 2-4S 12A AIO Brushless Flight Controller

Is it just because all of these have integrated ESCs?

Basically I'm asking whether any flight controller will work with any size battery, assuming you power it properly with 5v.

yep you can have 2000V if you want. you just got to have a stepdown to 5V. also get a well known FC instead of random ones.
cheers

recommendations for a FC?
If you want one for a larger craft (say 1kg +, also with room on the deck) Hex Cube (Pixhawk 2) · PX4 v1.9.0 User Guide

If you want one for abit of all round (i have this FC works great but for me it was limited but i am trying to use a heap of functions) Holybro Pixfalcon · PX4 v1.9.0 User Guide

and if you are into racers : MindRacer · PX4 v1.9.0 User Guide

they have great documentation and are really really good at doing their job. I would recomend using Audupilot with these (and any other FC in that matter)

feel free to DM me any Q's as well, i am here to help.
cheers

recommendations for a FC?
If you want one for a larger craft (say 1kg +, also with room on the deck) Hex Cube (Pixhawk 2) · PX4 v1.9.0 User Guide

If you want one for abit of all round (i have this FC works great but for me it was limited but i am trying to use a heap of functions) Holybro Pixfalcon · PX4 v1.9.0 User Guide

and if you are into racers : MindRacer · PX4 v1.9.0 User Guide

they have great documentation and are really really good at doing their job. I would recomend using Audupilot with these (and any other FC in that matter)

feel free to DM me any Q's as well, i am here to help.
cheers

Those look much more quality than what I've been looking at haha. Thanks for the links man

Betaflight is what I've been using for small quads. Is there something preferable about Ardupilot?

A DM would work as well, but then other people won't be able to see this if they have the same question but either way is fine with me

Reactions: Lachlan12787

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redelheit