Can I control a HS 720 with a cell phone with no service?

gewiz44

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to drones, so if this is a dumb question, please forgive me. I recently bought an HS 720 drone. I don't wish to use my current cell phone for fear of dropping it and or breaking it. So I would like to know if I were to buy a cheap cell phone with Wi-Fi, would I be able to use it to control my drone if I don't purchase any plan for it. Just wanted to make it a dedicated controller and viewer for the HS 720.
Thanks,

Thank you, Bob. I don't have a brand-new phone (Samsung S9+) but I hate the thought of falling out of the cell phone holder and getting smashed. Besides, it is a lot of work transferring all the information to a new phone. What type of phone did you use to control your drone?
Regards,
Gil

I used a Samsung J7. I was using my S10e and switched to the J7 for the same reason you don't want use yours.

I use an older LG phone that has no service and it works fine but probably need to take the phone out of it's case so it will fit securely in the holder.

Was hoping to find a slim case that would help protect the phone because I don't trust myself. Guess I could try Velcro to keep it secure.

Hi. New here, but encountered your question/situation. I bought my first drone, a Holy Stone 175D in October. About the same time I got a new Motorola cell phone. They wouldn't give me much for my 4 year old Samsung Galaxy S8, so I kept it. Turns out, it (the S8) works fine, controlling my drone, and like you, hopefully saves some wear & tear on my new phone. Of course, I use it only in Airplane mode, as it's no longer 'on my cellular plan' to use data. Don

Hello Donald4972, That is good to know. As it turns out, I tried to buy a S8+ on Craigslist in Seattle, but the guy said someone was coming to look at it already, so I said let me know if he doesn't buy it. Never heard back, so I bought a Moto E7 that night on eBay. The next morning I noticed the ad was still up, so I emailed him, and he said the guy never showed up, but he didn't let me know that as I requested. Anyway, for $50, I decided to go ahead and buy it. So now I have 2 phones under $50 each and am not sure which one to use. When it rains, it pours. The screen appears to be just a little larger on the E7, so I am leaning in that direction.

Hello Donald4972, That is good to know. As it turns out, I tried to buy a S8+ on Craigslist in Seattle, but the guy said someone was coming to look at it already, so I said let me know if he doesn't buy it. Never heard back, so I bought a Moto E7 that night on eBay. The next morning I noticed the ad was still up, so I emailed him, and he said the guy never showed up, but he didn't let me know that as I requested. Anyway, for $50, I decided to go ahead and buy it. So now I have 2 phones under $50 each and am not sure which one to use. When it rains, it pours. The screen appears to be just a little larger on the E7, so I am leaning in that direction.
My dilemma is wanting the smallest phone possible, with a great camera. That, is becoming a tall order these days! I really liked my S8, but the battery was beginning to lose charge too fast. Replacing the battery on S8 requires complete disassembly of the phone, so I'd have to have hired that done. Investing in a 4 year old phone seemed like a bit of a waste, so I moved on. The Motorola One is a very good phone I guess, but it's huge (compared to S8). Also, it wouldn't work at all with my HS 175D drone, until I put it into Airplane mode. Then it works great! The S8 works fine either way. Living and learning.... Don

For me, fat fingers and fading near vision makes me lean toward larger screen sizes. If you keep looking on Craigslist or offer up, you might find a S8 with a better battery life. eBay is still pretty competitive, so it would be a little harder to find one at a good price. The S8+ I got had the back case cracked, but I'm not looking at that side anyway. Maybe check yard sales too. Best of luck.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordyy