What to do on a bright sunny day

Spike

Reaction score
Only had my drone a couple/few weeks and I'm loving it. Have an HS720 and I have been flying in my yard and on my farm. Its nice to be out on bright sunny days, but then my phone display and the controller display is hard to see because of the brightness/glare from the sun. What do you guys do for that?

Steve

I've noticed that too. one of the main things I miss about my DJI phantom 2 I had until it decided it wanted to take a permenant swim in Lake michigan. Had the crystal sky system and it had the awesome sunshade for the monitor. Other than that and the extremely long charging times, I really like my holy stone hs-720. for the price it is awesome. considering getting a dji mini unless I can find another phantom for a decent price.... someone told me i can use the crystal sky on the mini but not sure.

Only had my drone a couple/few weeks and I'm loving it. Have an HS720 and I have been flying in my yard and on my farm. Its nice to be out on bright sunny days, but then my phone display and the controller display is hard to see because of the brightness/glare from the sun. What do you guys do for that?

Steve
I use virtual reality glasses. I connect the phone to the drone, turn on the app, turn on the VR mode in the app, put the phone into the glasses. It turns out very convenient. Everything is in front of my eyes and the sun does not interfere. Well, the feeling of flying in VR glasses is completely different.

Attachments

• VR Box.jpg
    VR Box.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1
I use virtual reality glasses. I connect the phone to the drone, turn on the app, turn on the VR mode in the app, put the phone into the glasses. It turns out very convenient. Everything is in front of my eyes and the sun does not interfere. Well, the feeling of flying in VR glasses is completely different.
So, let me see if I got this correct:
I get a pair of VR goggle/reality glasses. I assume I run a VR app on my phone and then run Ophelia GO in that VR app and put the phone into the Google/glass thingy. Is that correct?

Yes, connect your phone to the drone, launch Ophelia, turn on the VR function in the Ophelia app itself, put the phone into the glasses and fly.

I've noticed that too. one of the main things I miss about my DJI phantom 2 I had until it decided it wanted to take a permenant swim in Lake michigan. Had the crystal sky system and it had the awesome sunshade for the monitor. Other than that and the extremely long charging times, I really like my holy stone hs-720. for the price it is awesome. considering getting a dji mini unless I can find another phantom for a decent price.... someone told me i can use the crystal sky on the mini but not sure.
I've got all of the DJI Mini models except for the Mini-3, and that just awaits some additional money!

In the context of this discussion, you should get the Mini-2. The Mini-2 has the phone on top of the control sticks, whereas the Mini-1 and the Mini-SE have the phone mounted below the control sticks. There are excellent sunshades available for the Mini-2 "top mounted" phone. I have yet to find a single decent sunscreen for the "bottom mounted" screen on the Mini-1 and the Mini-SE, and I've looked.

TCS

You can go virtual reality, which is expensive and only allows you to see what the camera sees. However you leave yourself open to crashing into obstructions you can't see.

This is what I have done, and it works like a champ. Go to a hobby shop and get you some 0.030" styrene sheet. Cut it to make a shroud to go all the way around your phone. When you cut it out, make sure you tabs that will fit under your phone so you can attach it to your phone. I sprayed it flat black on the inside to cut any reflections. I left it unpainted on the outside since the controller of my Potensic Dreamer is white, so it matches. I have a separate 5G phone that I use just for my drone so my hood is permanently mounted. However, you can use strong packing tape and attach it to your phone when needed. If you make the sides 3" deep or so, you should still be able to reach your phone to control your drone if you like that. This will now block out the sun considerably and allow you to see your phone much better.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
finnallen