Oregon Coast drone laws

RobA

Reaction score
B4UFLY doesn't show any restrictions/TFS for the Oregon coast (Seaside, Cannon beach, Lincoln City) but reading local laws and it seems in 2014 there is/was a ban on ALL drone flights along 363 miles of Oregon coast. It also goes on to say banned in all state parks. But another state webpage says it's legal in state parks so long as not disturbing people/animals.

Reading more laws and it says that only banned for offshore rocks along the coastline to avoid wildlife habitats.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting data/information on where a drone can be used along the Oregon coast.

I'm obviously NOT interested in disturbing wildlife but would like to capture the scenic beauty of the Oregon coast (especially on clear days like we have the next 3 days).

All the exams I took/passed are very clear on what valid airspace, getting approvals from, avoiding aircraft, etc. They're also very clear to follow state and local laws, but those laws seem to contradict each other? I even called some of the local/state agencies to ask what the laws are for those areas and got two completely opposite answers.

Confused? Is this going to be a regular and constant battle of trying to get accurate information about drone flights? It's a huge deterrent ... I guess that's intended.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

The FAA has sole control over airspace. Local Law Enforcement or city ordinances can only govern the take-off/landing area.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

The FAA has sole control over airspace. Local Law Enforcement or city ordinances can only govern the take-off/landing area.
Greetings and thank you for the welcome.

Well, not according to Oregon Drone laws ... they leave it very open and up to the various state parks and recreation and wildlife departments to decide and enforce. The best I've been able to do is check all the local signs within a 500 ft radius of my takeoff/landing spot, check airspace, put my FAA jacket on and wait and see if anyone with authority comes to me with an issue.

For example, the Cannon Beach area in Oregon coast (city limits) completely banned drones but B4UFLY and FAA and other drone apps make no mention and give me the "Clear to Takeoff". Cannon Beach authorities make is clear no drones period, not just airspace, but NO DRONES ... I can't take-off from outside Cannon Beach city limits and then fly into Cannon Beach city limits as that is apparently banned also ... but also heard there is no legal enforcement if I did ... just really confusing and difficult to obtain information.

I'm not interested in harassing wildlife, people, aircraft, or spying on anyone (sorry folks your daily life activity just isn't that important to me). My objective is to capture the beauty of this planet and share it with others in the hope future generations will respect this planet we share.

Cheers, Rob.

Greetings and thank you for the welcome.

Well, not according to Oregon Drone laws ... they leave it very open and up to the various state parks and recreation and wildlife departments to decide and enforce. The best I've been able to do is check all the local signs within a 500 ft radius of my takeoff/landing spot, check airspace, put my FAA jacket on and wait and see if anyone with authority comes to me with an issue.

For example, the Cannon Beach area in Oregon coast (city limits) completely banned drones but B4UFLY and FAA and other drone apps make no mention and give me the "Clear to Takeoff". Cannon Beach authorities make is clear no drones period, not just airspace, but NO DRONES ... I can't take-off from outside Cannon Beach city limits and then fly into Cannon Beach city limits as that is apparently banned also ... but also heard there is no legal enforcement if I did ... just really confusing and difficult to obtain information.

I'm not interested in harassing wildlife, people, aircraft, or spying on anyone (sorry folks your daily life activity just isn't that important to me). My objective is to capture the beauty of this planet and share it with others in the hope future generations will respect this planet we share.

Cheers, Rob.
I agree that the local laws everywhere are very confusing. I think that I wish ( I have to be careful what I wish for) that all entities that want to restrict drones would have to file their restrictions on B4UFLY. National parks are marked as restricted airspace.
But as G Fields has sugested the FAA is in charge of the airspace and if you could find a launching area to take off from that is not state or county owned (ie private property with the owners permission) I don’t think the state could restrict you from flying along the coast. Maybe it will be necessary before long to take a lawyer with you droning, fishing or hunting to decipher the legality of your activity

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snooked