How much wind is too much?

c_melt369

Reaction score
I'm a new drone pilot. My model is an hs175. I've flown only a handful of times. I've come to the conclusion that any wind around 5 mph makes my drone erratic. Is this an accurate assumption for most small drones? What determines a drones flight capabilities in wind? TIA.

I'm a new drone pilot. My model is an hs175.
The hs175 seems to be only rated for a 4 to 5 MPH wind for photos or videos… It can fly in faster winds, but the electronics are not good enough to stabilize the camera and prevent Blurry or Fuzzy photos and videos.

I fly a DJI Mini 2 and I do not have any experience with the Holy Stone, but here is the link to all of the Holy Stone User Manuals and all their Apps…

Here are some videos that might help answer your camera/wind question…

Thanks for the reply. I've been getting steady 4 mph winds with gusts around 10 mph today... Been difficult to impossible to control. Some things I've read have stated the hs175 is difficult to control anyway. I really got this too see if I liked it enough to buy a better drone. Just not sure how much more stable a DJI mini 2 may be compared to what I have. Obviously a $300 drone should perform better than a $130 drone. Thanks for the videos.

Reactions: GFields
ust not sure how much more stable a DJI mini 2 may be compared to what I have.
I have a mini 2 and it is GREAT, I can easily fly in gusts to 20 MPH and shot good quality phots and video in 10-MPH winds.

The image stabilation on the DJI drones is really good and it seems that the only time it has problems is in sport mode at 35-MPH and you quickly change direction and it may stutter. and the funny thing is when you switch to Sport mode, a small warning comes to remind you of this...

Best thing is to go on line and watch some YouTube Videos on this. All I can say is you paid under $200 and you go a pretty good drone that cost less than $200.

My drone can be 2-miles away and the control is off the map and the video feed is jsut as good as if it is 5-feet away.

Look at those YouTube Videos too... Some idiots fly their drones 5-miles away and further and they video tap it all and you can see just how good the video feed is...

I think you are limited to 3/4 of a mile?

Whether you upgrade of not, all comes down to how important are the photos and videos are to you and how much money you are willing to throw after those better photos.

The Mini 2 is no longer availabe except as a refurbished or used model... DJI refurbished drones come with the same warranty and guarantee as their new ones...

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: GFields
I'm a new drone pilot. My model is an hs175. I've flown only a handful of times. I've come to the conclusion that any wind around 5 mph makes my drone erratic. Is this an accurate assumption for most small drones? What determines a drones flight capabilities in wind? TIA.
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Reactions: LoudThunder

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Edsland