hello fellow drone pilots

boatdoc

Reaction score
Literally just bought a dji mini 2 se and registered with FAA. Joined AMA too. AMA sur e offers a lot of info and help to all pilots,especially new ones

Already very frustrated( even before flying) as DJI doe not discuss in product info areas the need for specific cellphones to use with their app , NOR did they discuss their need to control my ability to fly in a restricted area. I do not need to be monitored by DJI as I am a responsible ,safe pilot-- safety is my game.

BIG Brother is alive @DJI . I live near a helicopter factory and know the rules, restrictions... Seems to me that they could restrict altitude or other parameters and allow flying safely ( vs blocking all flight until I get FAA approval)

Thanks to DJI not disclosing the need to unlock restricted zone flight, I am in limbo until the FAA approves my us e of a drone.

I am in search of areas that are not restricted so I can practice with this drone. Not an easy task.

thanks for reading

Doc

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
Already very frustrated(

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA.

This may be hard for your to read, but you may never get clearance to fly where you are as a Recreational pilot… Controlled airspace is broken down into Altitude Quadrants, the further you are from the center, generally the higher to a max of 400' you can get an authorization from the FAA to fly… The closer in, the lower the maximum altitude allowed. Right on down to Zero (0) altitude, as in NO FLYING permitted for Recreational Pilots…

I live 4-miles from an Air Force Base and the runway runs pretty much in my direction and I live in one of those Zero Altitude Quadrants. I call is a "Drone Taxi Zone…"

Until I got my Part 107 License, I was not allowed to fly in my own back yard… So, if you live close to that heliport, you may be in the Zero Altitude Zone…

As for DJI and the phone allowed, you just needed to do the research. They do not keep it a secret and they provide a complete list of phones they support. The DJI Fly App is a very resource intensive application and the phone or device had to have a sprong processor, lots of Ram, and free memory… I use a Motorola Moto G phone, a Galaxy S2 Tablet , and a a Galaxy A8 tablet and all work fine… They are not on the DJI support list and I was lucky My wife's Motorola Moto G "Play" phone does not work…

Here is a web site to help you with the device issue, be it a phone or tablet…

Good luck with all that… In the mean time…

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…). Your Drone weighs less than 250-grams (0.55 pounds), and while you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are not required to register your Drone.

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…). Your Drone weighs more than 250-grams (0.55 pounds), and even while you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are required to register your Drone.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute
Get your FAA TRUST Certificate of Completion to legally fly drones for recreational reasons in the United States.
trust.pilotinstitute.com trust.pilotinstitute.com

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live in Connecticut, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 6- feet (2-meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini SE, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…

Last edited:
Reactions: boatdoc
Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA.

This may be hard for your to read, but you may never get clearance to fly where you are as a Recreational pilot… Controlled airspace is broken down into Altitude Quadrants, the further you are from the center, generally the higher to a max of 400' you can get an authorization from the FAA to fly… The closer in the lower the maximum altitude allowed. Right on down to Zero (0) altitude, as in NO FLYING permitted for Recreational Pilots…

I live 4-miles from an Air Force Base and the runway runs pretty much in my direction and I live in one of those Zero Altitude Quadrants. I call is a "Drone Taxi Zone…"

Until I got my Part 197 License, I was not allowed to fly in my own back yard… So, if you live close to that heliport, you may be in the Zero Altitude Zone…

As for DJI and the phone allowed, you just needed to do the research. They do not keep it a secret and they provide a complete list of phones they support. The DJI Fly App is a very resource intensive application and the phone or device had to have a sprong processor, lots of Ram, and free memory… I use a Motorola Moto G phone, a Galaxy S2 Tablet , and a a Galaxy A8 tablet and all work fine… They are not on the DJI support list and I was lucky My wife's Motorola Moto G "Play" phone does not work…

Here is a web site to help you with the device issue, be it a phone or tablet…

Good luck with all that… In the mean time…

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…). Your Drone weighs less than 250-grams (0.55 pounds), and while you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are not required to register your Drone.

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…). Your Drone weighs more than 250-grams (0.55 pounds), and even while you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are required to register your Drone.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute
Get your FAA TRUST Certificate of Completion to legally fly drones for recreational reasons in the United States.
trust.pilotinstitute.com trust.pilotinstitute.com

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live in Connecticut, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 6- feet (2-meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini SE, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…

thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive reply

When I bought the mini 2 se, the website I bought the drone from( info from DJI)mentioned issues with google I never thought that I would need a "special" brand or version of android or apple i phone. I found out the phone requirement later when I was reading the owners manual from DJI. No biggie.I now have a nice iphone :) . I did activate the drone and test flew( 6 feet of altitude) the dji drone in an open area( wa s not safe to take a real flight as cars were present. So I know that the drone is activated and can fly in a proper airspace--FAR from my home. I am also applying to a FRIA club in an open airspace area. That should allow me to fly without worrying about those pesky fly zone restrictions and the geo fencing issue.

I know of the altitude restrictions for my area. My new club is in this restricted fly zone and is FRIA so I can fly without issue on their property. However, I am not sur e if DJI will cooperate and unlock my flying ability for that club site. I have to spend time and ask. I was very specific with the FAA as my altitude restrictions can vary from 100 ft to 300 ft in the same 3-4 mile diameter zone. I will fly below 100ft if allowed . time will tell

when I am off of work, I plan to thoroughly read and act upon you post. So much good info in there. So much to learn. I just need time. retirement is on the horizon so.... I should have plenty of time to learn and enjoy. I charge my batteries for the remote and the drone before leaving the house. I pre flight check the drone, bateries and remote before flying. Good habits pay off in bette r safety

I am also looking into private land( owned by people I know) and or public parks in an open air space area as options

as I knew of the requirement to take the TRUST test, I did that first.

I registered that drone and will register any new ones that I buy. I am looking into drones that do not require geo fencing. I have zero intentions of no t being safe or ignoring the rules of flying.I know better. Besides if I wa snot a safe pilot, I think my time as a pilot would be very short lived.

thanks for the tips.I will be sure to get it right when I finally get to fly

Last edited:
will be sure to get it right
I believe you are located in the vicinity of Stratford, Connecticut or just north of there. Yeah it's a mess, but I have it a whole lot worse when it comes to DJI and the FAA…

Yeah, there is a lot of controlled airspace, but you can get access to much of it as a recreational pilot, by asking for an authorization through the FAADroneZone for the Class D airspace of Stratford/Sikorsky Heliport (KJSD).

And the Controlled airspace for Bridgeport/Sikorsky Airport (KBDR) is a LAANC enable airport and you can get an authorization to fly there using a smartphone app…

You cannot fly in any zero altitude quadrants and there are altitude restrictions as you get closer to the air field.

You have much work to do to learn the use of the the apps AirControl and B4uFly and lots of reading to do on the website FAADroneZone concerning flying in controlled airspace…

YouTube videos may be helpful to learn these apps and how to use them.

Below is a map of my home turf and after that, why flying in my back yard is an issue, They fly low too…

Home Map with Warnings.jpg

F-22 in back yard.jpg

Last edited:
Literally just bought a dji mini 2 se and registered with FAA. Joined AMA too. AMA sur e offers a lot of info and help to all pilots,especially new ones

Already very frustrated( even before flying) as DJI doe not discuss in product info areas the need for specific cellphones to use with their app , NOR did they discuss their need to control my ability to fly in a restricted area. I do not need to be monitored by DJI as I am a responsible ,safe pilot-- safety is my game.

BIG Brother is alive @DJI . I live near a helicopter factory and know the rules, restrictions... Seems to me that they could restrict altitude or other parameters and allow flying safely ( vs blocking all flight until I get FAA approval)

Thanks to DJI not disclosing the need to unlock restricted zone flight, I am in limbo until the FAA approves my us e of a drone.

I am in search of areas that are not restricted so I can practice with this drone. Not an easy task.

thanks for reading

Doc
I am in no way suggesting that you should ignore any FAA regulation but there are some drone brands that do not use geo fencing. Autel is probably the best known high quality brand but there are others. FIMI drones are near DJI quality and do not have Geo Fencing. I'm sure there are others as well.

• Wow
thanks for the reply. Funny thing, I am considering an autel for that reason. They let me be responsible for my behavior and actions( exactly what the FAA states too).I really like what I see with autel drones. they are packed with features and have great reviews

FWIW a close friend of ours told me that an older airport which is now closed i and s available for community activities including drone use. hoping this will be a good thing for me. checking with the local PD to be sure all is good.

also hoping the FAA will allow me to fly in my area and that would allow me to get dji to unlock my drone

• Wow
Have you tried getting a LAANC approved? You would probably be limited to 100 or 200 feet AGL though. I use the FAA aproved Aloft app and usually get clearance in just a few minutes.

A closed airport would be a great location for an AMA club. However I've heard the FAA basically is not approving new AMA applications.
It is not a huge field but it was a fun place for me. the mini2se flew nicely even in a light breeze. Zero issues with control. almost no one there. easy to stay in open space and fly safely. The town is a beautiful place with lots of open water and forest space

WWell this is my second f7 drone which I like very much the only complaints I have in the second one is fairly new is the batteries I they need to do something about these batteries but my biggest problem and I wanted to know if any of you guys ran into it I ordered a 10-in Android tablet on Amazon it's called an f12 if I'm not mistaken I can download the app but I cannot anyway use it all it does is kick off and keeps asking for location and I have three tablets and a bunch of cell phones I know what I'm doing I cannot get this tablet and that app to fly with my drone any suggestions from anyone

• Wow
Have you tried getting a LAANC approved? You would probably be limited to 100 or 200 feet AGL though. I use the FAA aproved Aloft app and usually get clearance in just a few minutes.
using Laanc is not aproblem. the dji being locked is. DJI demands proof that the FAA has allowed me to fly in the restricted area. Waiting for that proof to show them. The FRIA club I belong to is in this area so using a locked down drone is a no go.

I bought a autel nano +today. no geo fencing. looks like a nice new toy too.

• Wow
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

A closed airport would be a great location for an AMA club.
Just be aware that the DJI Geo Zone map still has many "closed" airports with restrictions and I've read where members have not been able to get the zone unlocked… The members said the email from the FAA did not satisfy the DJI staff… because it was not an FAA Waiver or Authorization…

DJI demands proof that the FAA has allowed me to fly in the restricted area.
When the LAANC authorization comes to your phone, copy the screen and email DJI a copy as proof…

I also advised you in earlier postings to watch YouTube Vides on the use of LAANC and the DJI Geo Zone, have you done so? It may take a few videos to get the process down…

Reactions: boatdoc
Just be aware that the DJI Geo Zone map still has many "closed" airports with restrictions and I've read where members have not been able to get the zone unlocked… The members said the email from the FAA did not satisfy the DJI staff… because it was not an FAA Waiver or Authorization…
from what I have learned, this closed airport has been closed for decades. no restrictions listed on dronezone...

When the LAANC authorization comes to your phone, copy the screen and email DJI a copy as proof…

I also advised you in earlier postings to watch YouTube Vides on the use of LAANC and the DJI Geo Zone, have you done so? It may take a few videos to get the process down…
thanks again for your reply

I will get an email as that is all the FAA has. You can rest assured that I will secure that form( email) and back it up with e copies as well as a hard copy.That way, I can aways submit a photo of the hard copy

I did look at the LAANC and it seems great for us ei with the autel I ordered( no geo fencing) It will not help me with a DJI drone. As you noted, I need to prove to dji that the FAA has allowed my use of a drone in my restricted airspace area.

I am fine for now. I have an autel on the way to use at my FRIA club( in this restricted airspace). I have the closed airport which is open air space and I am joining a club near long island sound that should allow use of both drones

day 2 @ the closed airport has gusts of wind from th e north @ 18mph. The mini 2se did not like that.I thought it did very well considering. Right now I am using visual flight(line of sight only) and learning how the drone handles .

I am thrilled to be able to fly it after weeks of just sitting here wishing to be able to do so.

I am basically alone on this site-- when anyone shows, I practice staying away from t hem and their cars.
it is obvious that I have a long way to go and a lot to learn. I have yet to use the dji fly screen ,other than a quick glance at the stats. It will be interesting to add the cameras view of the areas that the drone flies in

found out how well the return home function worked when a low battery alarm/warning appeared. very cool

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
island_drones