Drone Range - How does it work?

wallace4793

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive got a Holystone 720G drone and getting to grips with flying it. Im getting about 100m range on the controller in open spaces. I wonder where the 500m/1000m declared range is coming from - i would expect the direct wifi connection to get nowhere near this and I see some of the DJI drones have 8km stated ranges - is this only from predefined GPS routes?

John

I'm flying the 720. What's being talked about here at 500m and 1000m is two different effective ranges. At 500m most people are losing FPV or First Person View which is the video feed to the phone. This is somewhat variable between phones and not all are created equal. I had decided to use a spare cell phone for drone control, but found the connection range was lesser than my daily service model.

At 1000m the controller is losing the connection to the drone for greater than six seconds causing one of many RTH or Return To Home conditions to activate. Obviously this is dependent on several factors such as atmospheric conditions, operating altitude, and line of sight obstructions. The range is not generally dependent on use of Tapfly or manual control inputs. I personally like the Tapfly as you can be more certain of travel direction despite any heading deviation due to winds encountered on the route. Also pay attention to altitude selection as it can be affected by sudden wind sheer.

Lastly since we are discussing range, avoid flying below 15m/49 ft as the battery is expended below three bars when the 100m/30m limits are in place(yellow colour status background) and the drone flashes red. If the battery level goes critical while the drone is within 15m and under 15m altitude, the drone will automatically land wherever it is as opposed to coming back to the safe home/takeoff area. This can be quite colourful when there are trees or water about. You will have forward/backward, side motion, and rotation control, to affect the final position, but the drone will be on an unstoppable descent during this short time period from somewhat less than 15m/49ft. If you are further away than 15m, the drone will climb to 15m or maintain higher altitude and return to home before descending which is more favourable.

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes I see what you mean, however with clear line of sight mine trigger trh at 100m with good satellite cover and no obstructions.

John

Hi,

Yes I see what you mean, however with clear line of sight mine trigger trh at 100m with good satellite cover and no obstructions.

John
You have checked the settings and ensured no obstacles there surely. You're describing an RTH maintaining altitude and briskly retrieving to a point overhead, correct? Sounds as though you've got serious controller interference. Have you tried this at various altitudes and headings? One gent was describing diminished range in one direction, but achieving 800m or more on a different track.

Wow! This thread answers so many of my questions from my flight yesterday. My RTH kicked in a few times and i wasn't sure why, but it was a gloomy day and one time was due to losing line of site.

Also, I was flying a drone That I had crashed and repaired. I'm hoping that wasn't a big contributor because that's not going to get better.

Wow! This thread answers so many of my questions from my flight yesterday. My RTH kicked in a few times and i wasn't sure why, but it was a gloomy day and one time was due to losing line of site.

Also, I was flying a drone That I had crashed and repaired. I'm hoping that wasn't a big contributor because that's not going to get better.
Controller range is a function of altitude at times. If there is heavy obstruction to LOS you can be severely limited. Flying low over trees is a big one as is not being in a clear spot. I would go back and ensure that the connections are all solid on your wifi and controller antennae.

I'm going to enjoy flying a repaired drone soon as well since I had a battery protocol assisted crash. It is always good to reset the home function on the drone regularly if you are moving around. I had a altitude increase protocol land a drone in a tree and when it came out of the tree it gained altitude into the ground. It would not respond to the emergency shutdown commands during critical battery level protocol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabeach