Check in from IL & AZ

Sparc343

Reaction score
Hello! I am checking in from IL and AZ! I first discovered MavicPilots when I got my first drone (the DJI mavic mini 2) but now that I am expanding my "fleet" to include other brands I figured I'd check out this forum for the "generality" that it is named DronePilots (not so brand specific)!

Long story short, born and raised in IL - and spend the first half of my life there (raised in suburbs wound up IN chitcago proper after adult-hood). I now moved to AZ - almost exactly half way between Phoenix and Tucson (near Casa Grande). Got me a vacant parcel that I will be building a house on here! Which is actually what got me "into" drones in the first place. I wanted to buy one so I could get awesome aerial views of the lot and take "before" "during" "after" photos from up there of the progress of the "development" of the land (and my house, garage, ETC)!

My only question/comment/concern would be if this forum is as "busy" as it's MavicPilots cousin? I know DJI tends to be the top rated manufacturer, and that MavicPilots certainly seems to reflect that with how busy it is! Is it just as "busy" here??

Hello! I am checking in from IL and AZ! I first discovered MavicPilots when I got my first drone (the DJI mavic mini 2) but now that I am expanding my "fleet" to include other brands I figured I'd check out this forum for the "generality" that it is named DronePilots (not so brand specific)!

Long story short, born and raised in IL - and spend the first half of my life there (raised in suburbs wound up IN chitcago proper after adult-hood). I now moved to AZ - almost exactly half way between Phoenix and Tucson (near Casa Grande). Got me a vacant parcel that I will be building a house on here! Which is actually what got me "into" drones in the first place. I wanted to buy one so I could get awesome aerial views of the lot and take "before" "during" "after" photos from up there of the progress of the "development" of the land (and my house, garage, ETC)!

My only question/comment/concern would be if this forum is as "busy" as it's MavicPilots cousin? I know DJI tends to be the top rated manufacturer, and that MavicPilots certainly seems to reflect that with how busy it is! Is it just as "busy" here??
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Well, it would seem that since this site has had only 3 posting thus far this year. it is a bit less busy as you can see. I know you have been active on MavicPilots for over two-years now, So maybe you can help liven things up... Welcome aboard!

As much as I hope to continue to expand my "fleet" too!!! DJI does make some pretty solid equipment, but I must say ~ Autel sure seems to be a great "run for the money"... Quite possibly "better", at least in terms of their lack of geofencing. Even the FIMI I have was surprisingly/seemingly good for the money. I will have yet to see if I branch out any further than DJI, Autel, and FIMI (besides the one super tiny Hubsan I do have, only because the Zino Mini Pro became unavailable)! So far my primary considerations are all just, getting more DJI, Autel and FIMI machines... .. .

Still likely to (at some point) resume studying for my P107, then I'm going to have to pick out which one(s) I want for 44809, and which one(s) I want for 107..! And whether to split stuff I already own, or to actually maintain TWO entirely different "fleets" :O

actually maintain TWO entirely different "fleets"
Well, as you probably know, when you registerd your drones under the Rec Pilot side, you were really registering "Your Fleet…" and every single one of them carry the same FAA registration number and your registration is good for three years.

If you register a drone under Part 107, each drone gets its own registration (each costing $5 each…) and its own registration number and each one will also have to be reregistered every three years.

If you were to get your 107 tomorrow and decide to register your Mavic 3 as your goto Part 107 operations drone, the old rec registration remains current until it's expiration date. You would get the new registration and it would supersede the Rec Registration. You can still fly your M3 as a Rec Drone…

As a joke, I contacted the FAA and asked for a rebate on the unused portion of my Rec Registration on my Mini 2 when I registered it under the part 107… They gave me a Biggo "LoL" and reminded me that the rec license was still valid, useless, but valid…

I think your option to fly two fleets is probably the most economical…

Reactions: Sparc343
Yeah, I understand the registration thing. Currently I don't have the M3, but I do have the A2S (which is the only drone I "HAVE" to have registered for >250g)... I may even just register any/all of my >250g as 107 because I know you can use a 107 for 107 or 44809, but you cannot use a 44809 for a 107 (flights)... I think that will be fairly economical that way. It is still only $5, just PER drone once P107 is obtained, and I'm okay with that. because when you looks at my fleet and planned fleet additions, I am only going to have a few AC that are >250g... THREE for sure, some of the others I may or may not get as time goes on. And I really should modify my signature because I know I'm NOT going to be getting that Hubsan Zino Mini Pro any longer, as it is no longer available (at least to the US) or so I have been told... Which is okay, because I am more than happy with DJI, Autel, And FIMI as my A/C manufacturers. All THREE of those companies seem to make pretty solid products!

Reactions: LoudThunder

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DRONEric